Living Guide for International Students in Japan | JPSS, the information site of studying in Japan

Living Guide for International Students in Japan | JPSS, the information site...

Your chance to receive a scholarship through acceptance using the Scouting Function

> > > Living Guide for International Students in Japan

Living Guide for International Students in Japan

Free Registration

Free registration to find the best study plan in Japan for you

【Reasons for choosing JPSS】
  1. Scholarships available only to JPSS members
  2. Directing scouting from universities
  3. High-quality information on studying in Japan

Click here for details

Members can log in here

Settling Down in Japan

  • What kind of card is a "residency card"?
  • Duty to carry and show your residence card
  • Be sure to copy down your residence card number
  • When there are changes to the information on your residence card
  • Losing your card and having it re-issued
  • The residence card and re-entry into Japan
  • You are legally obligated to return your residence card in the following cases:
  • Notification obligations
  • What is Covered by National Health Insurance?
  • How to Join National Health Insurance
  • Changing of Address
  • Necessary documents for opening an account
  • Seal documents
  • Automatic Transfer


Begin life in Japan

  • Variation of Accommodations
  • Before Finding A Room
  • Market Prices for Rent
  • Where to Find Rooms
  • Basic Knowledge & Housing Terminology
  • Signing a Contract
  • Joint Surety


Avoiding Troubles

  • Separation of Trash (e.g. in Tokyo)
  • Garbage Collecting Days are Different from One Area to Another
  • Keep the Rules
  • Considerate of Others
  • Making Noise Late at Night
  • When Friends Gather
  • Someone Complains Your Noise
  • Kitchen Grease
  • Ventilation
  • Keep the Oil Stain Away!
  • Cover Cooking Area with Aluminum Foil
  • Cleaning Costs May Be Deducted from Your Deposit
  • Precise Address Writing
  • Name Your Postbox
  • Post Office Information in English
  • Stop Electricity, Gas, Water
  • Leaving Clean
  • Changing of Address Notice
  • Unattended Bicycles
  • Registration
  • Park at a Designated Area
  • Flea Markets



  • Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students
  • Tuition Reduction and Assistance


Part-time Job

  • "Shikakugai-katsudokyoka"
  • Working Hours
  • Fields of Work
Working Condition
  • Record the Working Conditions
  • Record the Hours You Worked and the Payments
  • Late or Absent without Notice
Finding a Work
  • Job Placement Office in University
Troubles at Work
  • Accidents at Work
  • Consulting Offices for Settling Troubles
  • Two Kinds of Tax for a Part-timers
  • National Tax is Based on Annual Income
  • Go To Revenue Office for Filling in Income Tax Form



  • Immigration Law
  • Categories of Status of Residence
  • Regional Immigration Services Bureaus Locations
  • Advisory Organization
  • Individual applications should be made early
  • When Leaving Japan for a Period of Time (Gaining Re-Entry to Japan)


Interchange Activity

  • Do not Give It Up
  • Cultural Exchange Programs
  • Short-term Home Stay
  • Avoid "Isolation"
  • Friends from Your Country
  • Foreign Students Associations


Advisory Desk

  • Local Council Offices
  • Bar Association
  • Telephone Counseling
  • Local Council Offices
  • Japan Federation of Bar Associations Traffic Accident Consultation Center



  • Clearing the Room
  • Notice of Moving Out


Japan scholarship

Search for a place to study

Select university type

Graduate School
Professional training college
Junior college
All universities